Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Her name is Maria


I lose focus sometimes. Does that ever happen to you? I re-read my last posting and was struck by how far I had missed the point. It was like a voice prompted me saying:
Her name is Maria!
It seems I was describing the forest without identifying each of the solid, enterprising "trees". The micro-credit program is a total success because of the hard-working individuals who have the ideas, put in the work, market the products, pay back the loan and start the process all over again. And each of the "trees" have names.
The owner of this poultry micro-credit enterprise is Maria Esperanza Mendoza. She is the third person from the left in this picture. (l to r; Orlando Montiel, Nicaraguan Micro-Credit Project Officer, Wilmer Correa, Nicaraguan Interpreter, Maria, Maria's daughter and Merry Fredrick, Self-Help's Executive Director)
So, next time I mention "micro-credit enterprises" just remember that I am talking and thinking about Francisca Lopez, Theresa Espinoza, Magdelina Gonzales, Eva Chavarria, Maria Antonia Guiardado and hundreds like them in Ghana and Nicaragua who work every day to improve their family's life forever.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

This is just the detail I was searching for. I wish I’d discovered your blog earlier.
SELF HELP

Unknown said...

A very good and informative article indeed. It helps me a lot to enhance my knowledge more.SELF HELP